Kanye West x Louis Vuitton Interview

How did your collaboration with Louis Vuitton come about?
I already knew and looked up to Marc Jacobs. Then Louis Vuitton called me and said they

had this idea for me to do shoes. I was really excited about the opportunity.

I don’t know if they quite knew what they were getting into asking me to

help create something!

How did you work with the teams from Louis Vuitton?
We’d fly out there. They’d have ideas. I’d have ideas and I’d start sketching.

I just sketched every idea in my head, women’s, men’s, everything. In the

end Louis Vuitton had to narrow it down because I had SO many ideas

that I wanted to get out.

What was your image of Louis Vuitton before you became

so closely involved with the company, and have your impressions

evolved in any way as a result of the collaboration?
They’ve always been my favourite aspirational brand from the day

I bought my first wallet. Actually I used to dream of being able to buy

their trunks and put them round my house.

Why sneakers? (I know you are supposed to own at least 400 pairs)
Because they’re a great entry point for people who can’t afford the trunk,

you know. Also, sneakers, I think, are a way of displaying where

you are mentally.

What was your inspiration for this collection?
I was inspired a lot by the movie Dune—remember those

big padded collars they wore? Well I did that padded look as

a flap at the back.….

Are you a fashion genius?
I don’t think I’ve reached genius level yet. It’s good. But its

not good enough for me. I want to be better.

How do you find the ideas for your music?
I get inspired by concepts, theories, philosophies.

Give me an example.
The saying ‘What Does Not Kill Me Makes Me Stronger’ was an

inspiration for the song
Stronger.

If you hadn’t been a successful Music artist, what would

you have liked to be?
An author, maybe. Although I have already written a book.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?
Me! Meaning my mistakes, I’ve learnt so much from them!