A Chef you should know! Jose Mendin



Chef Jose Mendin is SUSHISAMBA strip's executive chef. Among his favorite dishes: EastWest, which combines Kobe Style Beef Tataki with truffle oil-tofu crema, ponzu jelly & shimeji mushroom and Beef Tenderloin Seviche with Peruvian 'canario' bean, avocado, lime, tamari soy and aji panca oil on one plate. Chef Mendin brings his unstoppable energy and passion to the kitchen of SUSHISAMBA strip, making him one of the growing restaurant group's shining stars.

944: What made you want to be a chef?

JOSE MENDIN: Before I decided to become a chef, I never cooked [a day] in my life. My parents took me out to dinner every Sunday. My dad would look at the new restaurant reviews in the Puerto Rican newspaper and we would go all over the island to try these places. My dad would take us to a French bistro in Puerto Rico named La Chaumiere on special occasions. I guess this is what made me fall in love with the industry — all the experiences I had with my family.

How do you fuse the flavors of Asia with the flavors of Latin America?

Latin people like to taste flavors, they like flavors in their mouths. I think Japanese people are more traditional in flavors and like simplicity, so you have to find a way to [cook] where you’re not disrespecting the Japanese tradition, but at the same time getting the flavors you want.

What do you love most about Las Vegas?

Las Vegas is a really young city and you can meet people from anywhere here. I like it because the mentality of the people who work here is very good, compared to other cities I’ve worked in. Here you have more professionals and very hungry people who come to work in good restaurants.

What’s your favorite comfort food?

Comfort food for me is Puerto Rican food. It depends on the mood I’m in though, because I like all types of food. I can eat anything. I love everything. Comfort food for me can mean my mom’s cooking, or a nice pizza.

Las Vegas is hip and young. How do you bring the energy of the city to your dishes?

I try to make them fun and I try to make flavors that are “wow.” All of the robata items, ceviches and tiraditos go with the restaurant, but they’re not too heavy because people want to party afterwards.